Sporting Lisbon are to report West Ham to FIFA for alleged “illegal approaches” made to William Carvalho, say Sky sources.
West Ham are currently pursuing legal action against Sporting’s communications director, Nuno Saraiva, after he labelled Hammers co-owner David Sullivan a “liar” and a “parasite” and claimed that the Premier League side made no offers for the Portugal international.
Sky Sports News revealed on Wednesday two emails appearing to show Sullivan offering just under £23m for Carvalho, before making a follow-up bid that included a 10 per cent sell-on clause and additional add-ons based on West Ham qualifying for the Champions League.
Sullivan also claimed last week that the offers were rejected before Sporting got back in touch with West Ham on Deadline Day and indicated a willingness to negotiate another deal, but there was not enough time.
Saraiva previously said on Facebook: “No proposal arrived for the player William Carvalho.
“Mr Sullivan has a duty to prove what he says. For this reason, Sporting Clube de Portugal challenge him to publicly show the proposals he says have been made, as well as the evidence that Sporting CP has received them.”
Sky Sports News understands the 25-year-old wanted a move to the Premier League, but he had a £40m release clause in his contract and Sporting were initially keen for that figure to be met.
Carvalho, who helped Portugal win Euro 2016, is a product of the Sporting academy and has scored 10 goals in 155 appearances since making his first-team debut in 2011.